Subject: Re: [Leica] Film types
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@imagecraft.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 00:29:59 -0700

At 09:01 AM 4/17/2003 +0200, Erik van der Meulen wrote:
>...Basically I would like to know the arguments for choosing slide film
>over negative film (or vice versa). I have heard that slide film is more
>sensitive to exact lighting, but that's about it.
>
>My general processing practice is to have the film developed and scan
>the negatives (Nikon Coolscan III), so I basically do not care for the
>slide-projector argument too much.

If you are going to scan film and work from there, and if you are aware of
slide's limitations (generally higher contrast, more limited D Range and
less exposure latitude), then slide is a better medium by far. First of
all, there is no orange mask so the scanners usually do a better job.
Second, you can look at the slides as is. Third, slides generally have
better grain. (All are general statements of course)

I have been mainly shooting Provia and scanning them in for over a year now
and I like the workflow. It does help that I have a roll adapter for my
scanner (LS-4000) so I just scan in the whole roll at a time and sort them
out later.

// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>