Subject: Re: [Leica] Cropping (was: Giving the Leicas a floggin')
From: Dave Rodgers <drodgers1@lightcurves.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:03:37 -0700

Martin

At 09:49 PM 4/10/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>The other reason is because it's a challenge to get things "right" in the
>camera, rather than shooting "sloppily" and then "fixing it in post".  I
>believe Cartier-Bresson (every Leica-toting person's hero) expressed an
>opinion on this matter in his inimitable way.
>
>The mark of a good craftsman is usually doing things nicely, rather than
>fixing them later, but this is of course part myth: the mark of a good
>craftsman is knowing when to do what and using tools to good effect.

One of the things I dislike about using my digital "compose on a tiny LCD"
or "viewfinder like looking through a paper towel roll" camera is that by
using it I feel like I'm throwing out that discipline of  getting right in
the camera. My goal instead is get something workable, not something
special. Methodical gives way to fast and cheap. Probably perception that's
part myth on my part. But it has me back to using only my Leicas.

DaveR