Subject: Re: [Leica] Giving the Leicas a floggin'
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:25:09 -0700

Rob Heyman said.
> Thanks Ted.
>
> These portraits may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it keeps me
interested to
> try something different, and they pay the bills!.... The young lady has
just
> been in to view them and I must say that the resulting order will pay
quite a
> few of those bills.<<<

G'day Rob,
There have been some interesting view points regarding the photographs of
mother & child you executed so well. Some comments by amateurs who need not
rely on the "customer counts" for the income derived from what our work
looks like.

What really counts is..... the mother gave you an excellent order for
prints, that's life and how it's supposed to work. Not what LUG comments, as
viable as they maybe, actually don't amount to diddly when it comes down to
paying the bills and earning income.

Sure LUG comments usually work in the assistance with many amateurs and yes
I admit on more than one occasion LUG/LEG comments have opened my eyes to,
"Damn, that's a good idea I'll try that." for me.

Some of us folks are professionals who rely on the sale of our photography
and how well the "customer likes it," be that published books or commercial
sales in many disciplines of photography.

The real bottom line, always shoot what your heart and gut tell you what is
right, not to  become upset and thrown off track by those who've, although
excellent photographers in their own right, have neither been published
extensively nor had to cope with earning a keep by the mighty Leica and
film.

Your photography in this case was and is excellent, absolutely first class.
Sure to some it's cliche, so what, that isn't relevant for one iota if it
sells like hot cakes and makes you look like God's gift to the world as a
photographer! Certainly in the eyes of the person purchasing the pictures!
They will tell other potential customers how good you are and that's what
keeps the wheels of earning your living turning.

In my case with "This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler." book
I've had a few comments from LUG members saying the work on many pages is
just very ordinary pictures anyone could have taken. So why do others claim
it's such a great photography book?"

Well I suppose on an over all bases something must be OK with it as a
photographic Leica book on the medical of profession with copies sold world
wide and it's being re-printed for a new release and title September 2003,
"Doctor's Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler."

To be followed with, "Women in Medicine. This is Our Work." in 2004. Now if
I let some folks get me down because they thought some of the pictures were
"just ordinary everyone can take them what makes it so great?" Then my
goodness I'd not have started the new book on women, nor would the original
Osler book have been re-printed by a publisher who asked "could he do it?"
:-)

So old buddy best to always stick with your heart on how you feel about your
photography no matter what others say unless.......... "they are paying the
bill, then you might make a minor adjustment." ;-)

ted

Message from Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Giving the Leicas a floggin')
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Giving the Leicas a floggin')
Message from Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Giving the Leicas a floggin')