Subject: RE: [Leica] Giving the Leicas a floggin'
From: "Chandos Michael Brown" <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 22:35:10 -0400

OK, I'm going to strike a somewhat different note here.  I admire Rob's
photography, and I invariably look at it when he posts links.  He's a
superb craftsman, whose mastery of technique I admire without
reservation.  He sets a standard of excellence that I aspire to emulate.
I say this flatly, no conditions.

But: I view this particular series as the most unmitigated kitsch,
warmed over Maxfield Parrish, cloying self-conscious, simply too
precious for words.  My suspicion is that his client chose the dress (a
testament to her dubious taste, not his).  I was mildly embarrassed to
view the series.  It's simply, too, too, well, artificially sentimental,
but utterly without soul.  I'm compelled to wonder about the sensibility
of a woman who would imagine this is an appropriate or attractive
depiction of her relationship with her child--as a prop in a vanity
portfolio.

This is what *I* see.

Cheers.

Chandos