Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-Leica photos: Rethinking digital
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 19:39:30 -0700

Martin Howard wrote:

> Jim Hemenway wrote:
>
> > My daughter is on vacation while her house, (it's actually haunted as
> > you will see) is being re-shingled.
> >
> > I took these yesterday with the DCS460 and with the hot mirror filter
> > show her the progress by email.
> > http://www.hemenway.com/VinalApr6th/
> >

> I take it she lives in the large one in the background (image one)...?
>
> ;-)
>
> M.

That port-a-poty looks just like my last refrigerator.
The exact avocado guacamole color!

	by the way. I wasn't sure on the spelling so i did a quick check and
got this:

WORD HISTORY: The history of avocado takes us back to the Nahuatl (the
language of the Aztecs) word ahuacatl, “fruit of the avocado tree” or
“testicle.” The word ahuacatl was compounded with others, as in
ahuacamolli, meaning “avocado soup or sauce,” from which the
Spanish-Mexican word guacamole derives. In trying to pronounce ahuacatl,
the Spanish who found the fruit and its Nahuatl name in Mexico came up
with aguacate, but other Spanish speakers substituted the form avocado
for the Nahuatl word because ahuacatl sounded like the early Spanish
word avocado (now abogado), meaning “lawyer.” In borrowing the Spanish
avocado, first recorded in English in 1697 in the compound avogato pear
(with a spelling that probably reflects Spanish pronunciation), we have
lost many of the traces of the more interesting Nahuatl word.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Non-Leica photos: Rethinking digital)