Subject: Re: [Leica] Alternate to current 35mm ASPH?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 20:33:47 -0700

Martin Howard wrote:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> > That's the difference between a Noctilux and a Summicron!
> > That's the difference between an ASA 100 or 400 film!
> > That's the difference between shooting at a 15th or shooting at a 60th.
> > Also the difference between a compact flash which cost 50 bucks and a
> > huge flash which cost 500 bucks!
>
> Noctilux: $2,500      Summicron: $795
>   ASA 100: $2.19         ASA 400: $2.49
>     1/60s: $0              1/15s: $0
>   $ flash: $50          $$ flash: $500
>         =  $2,552.19           =  $1,297.49
>
> Let me add one:
>
> Two stops!  That a difference of $1,254.70!!
>
> In fairness though, I should admit that my analysis is incomplete.  If
> we assume an hourly rate of $25/h, that translates into $25/3600 = 0.69
> cents/second.  Thus, with the Nocti, the exposure costs 0.0115 cents,
> while with the 'cron it costs a whopping 0.046 cents.  Now, that may
> not seem like much, but add it up over 50,000 exposures and your
> talking about 1,725 cents which is, of course, how the professional
> photographer justifies the difference in purchasing price of the two
> lenses.
>
> M.
>
> --
My point exactly Martin, two stops is a lot if you're doing it with
glass. Especially Leica glass.

But $25/h throws off your calculations as the average photographers day
rate is $1000 making their hourly rate $125 an hour!
My makeup person get's 50 an hour my assistant 20.

Interestingly I understand that a still photographer on a movie set
charges for each piece of equipment in their camera bag!
Hollywood it seems is a rental driven industry!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Alternate to current 35mm ASPH?)