Subject: Re: [Leica] hand-held exposure rule
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 15:17:10 -0700

Some photographers may be able to hand hold at shutter speeds lower than
other people.
There are many variables involved:

Focal length of the lens (the longer, the higher the speed should be).
Heart rate of the photographer.
Steadiness of hand (very calm people can shoot at lower speeds).
Healthy inner-ear (controls balance).
Wind conditions.

My minimum shutter speeds is 1/250 sec. Below that, the results are less
that stellar.
A slug of vodka (or similar elixir) seems to improve conditions somewhat.
But a tripod is far better. Whenever possible I use one.

I new a flamboyant Los Angeles photographer who claimed he could hand hold a
camera at 1 (one) sec. shutter speed. I challenged him to prove it to me and
I lost. It seems that he did "hand hold" the camera while it was resting on
a solid support such as a rock, ledge, or against a wall.

Speaking of camera supports, I am not able to use a monopod. It seems that
when I close one eye and aim with the other, I lose my balance. Maybe one
"slug" is not enough.

Joe