Subject: Re: [Leica] Alternate to current 35mm ASPH?
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 17:29:29 -0800

faneuil wrote:

> Ok - so from all the responses I have received I am thinking of
> selling my
> 35 lux ASPH for the compactness of a 4th gen 35 summicron.  Stop f1.4
> all
> that much, esp as I usually have my camrera loaded with 400 NPH or TCN.
> The compactness of the late spherical model is just so atttactive..

I have learnt -- in the relatively short space of time that I've been a
Leica user -- to find methods to overcome such sudden bursts of "I must
sell/buy".  (Certain LUG members will be smiling quietly to themselves
as they read this -- others will be rolling on the floor laughing.)

Keep you current lens.  If you feel the same in two or three months,
then make the swap.  Otherwise, there is a VERY great risk that you'll
miss the extra stop and that you'll miss the 35 ASPH as a lens.  It is,
after all, a stupendous piece of glass.

What you may find -- provided you put a little money aside each month
- -- is that after those three (or perhaps four months) you have enough
money to buy the 35 'cron anyway (especially if you get the last
generation pre-ASPH 35 'cron -- which in my opinion is a nicer lens
anyway compared to the 'cron... more of the "Leica look").  And then
you can keep the 35 'lux ASPH for those moments when you need it... or
just plain enjoy the fact that you have one.

M.