Subject: [Leica] Cooking animals alive (was eating yummy live monkies)
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 12:05:05 -0500

A year or so ago, some acquaintences were having a "live animal" dinner
party where they were going to have a variety of live animals in the
beginning of the evening and full stomaches at the end. They invited me (in
the wake of my fabulous pig slaughtering photos) to photograph crayfish as
they tried to crawl out of a hot skillet and lobsters trying to escape from
a pot of boiling water and ... I chickened out at the last minute and just
couldn't be there to take pictures.

Which brings me to "somebody has to take the photograph" a movie starring
roy schider as a newspaper photographer asked to photograph an execution
somewhere down south. (he's using a leica F but it's a good movie
nonetheless.)

I realize that there are some times when the photograph is important though
personally very difficult to take. I admire weegee, mcullen, and others like
him for putting themselves in distasteful situations to show ugly truth.

Kc