Subject: [Leica] LA Times photog
From: "Kevin Argue" <kargue@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 11:44:39 -0500

Luggers- A few weeks ago I was working the evening for one of my local
newspapers when the picture desk editor was dealing with a reporters images.
First off some reporters should not be allowed to take photos, in particular
this one. His grip and grin photo had an offensive sign sticking out of the
side of the politicians head. Of the few shots he took, this was the best
one. The local news page editor asked the photo desk if he could photoshop
out the sign. He refused! He said it was against company policy and would
alter the photo changing its relationship to the story. The editor agreed
with his comments and the photo ran as is. One other thought in the use of
photos. Those of us that shoot for papers take photos  by cropping in the
camera through use of various lenses, zooming or shooting at certain angles.
I have noticed that the papers are cropping much different than before. 3 or
4 people scrambling around a goal has been replaced by 1 player and 1
goalie. The rest of those in goal mouth are cropped out. Well luggers, do
you think this changes the photo in any way?

Kevin Argue
St. Catharines, Canada