Subject: Re: [Leica] xtol replacement or i love xtol... when it works
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:50:59 -0800

Daniel McClenghan wrote:

> I just got done proccessing some neopan in xtol 1:3. When looking at the
> film i noticed teeny tiny specks floating in the water spots on the film.
> this is my third batch of xtol.  first batch was a 1 liter pack with bad
> results, second batch was 5 liter using the rabiner method(bucket,4*1liter
> bottles 4*250ml bottles) good results. this time also 5 liter package=wierd
> paticulate matter. I use distilled water for all steps Even washing. well
> i'll see how the film dries but i might be looking for a replacement
> developer. Any suggestions? I like the grain and the speed of xtol since i
> primarly shoot neopan 1600@800 for available light band stuff. 1/4-1/15
> second f/1-2.8. i never really like d76 i like a little more
> acutance.-daniel
>
> --

What were they stored in? What was in those containers before?
Transmission fluid?

And what kind of weird hypo are you using? A powder? How new was it? Temperature?

Anybody in my opinion who uses a powered hypo deserves what they get. Trouble!

And I'm suspicious of any Non Kodak hypo.

Use Kodak Rapid Fixer A and skip the B.

Specks of what floating in the water?

That Ilford DDX stuff is just the same old boring Phenidone stuff
packaged as a liquid.
I don't go for it coming close to the quality of Xtol 1:3 which involves
at least one major innovation and took a like of trial and error research.
Try Rodinal.
It appears sharper than Xtol but that may be an illusion as you have
very visible sharp and even grain.
If you don't like grain don't use Rodinal.
That said Rodinal use can produce very respectable grain. Perhaps not
good with T-grain technology films.
Use it with Tri X, Neopan 400 and maybe 1600. The 1600 will be
definitely a lot more grainy than with Xtol 1:3 but then just about
anything else would be as well. Pan F. Agfa films.

How big do your blow up your prints?

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com