Subject: Re: [Leica] Totally off topic.... Polaroid scanner
From: Allen Graves <ahgraves@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:28:58 -0600

I have the Microtek ArtixScan 4000t . This is the same scanner as
your Polaroid, both made by Microtek but with minimally different
cosmetics and different software packages. With the Microtek software
it is at best a very lightweight boat anchor. (I use it on a Mac.) It
may actually be the worst software I've ever seen.

After reading a lot of info on the various scanner groups, I bought
Silverfast from Lasersoft (www.silverfast.com) and have had flawless
function since. The Silverfast software  is expensive and not very
intuitive, but is extremely powerful. They have an excellent demo
available for download. I think that the new version of the Artixscan
and Silverfast 6.0 were reviewed a few months ago in Shutterbug.

In adddition, I use Vuescan, an inexpensive shareware scanner driver
for literally hundreds of scanners (www.hamrick.com) and get likewise
get excellent results.It's interesting that different results may
come from the same slide or negative, so if a scan seems difficult in
one program, it's worthwhile switching programs. Ed Hamrick upgrades
the program often, sometimes 2-3 times per week and provides
exemplary support for new scanners as they come to the market.

Both these programs have dust/scratch removal, color restoration and
grain reduction algorithms built in, and they work pretty well. The
nature of the Microtek/Polaroid light source supposedly does not
amplify film defects as much as the light source used by Nikon.

I've used both the Microtek and the Nikon 4000 and really still
prefer my 2-year old Microtek.
At least give the demos of these 2 programs a try before you write
off your scanner.

Allen Graves