Subject: Re: [Leica] Totally off topic.... Polaroid scanner
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:29:11 -0500

At 05:53 PM 3/31/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Yep they were kind enough to replace the first and the second, but what's
>the point of having malfunctioning equipment replaced with just another
>piece of malfunctioning equipment ?  I'm wide open for suggestions as you
>may well figure. :-( Or would you really like to hear how I feel? ;-)
>
>ted

Ted -

I have the Nikon LS4000 and love it.  It has never given me a minute of
trouble.  I use the SF-200 batch attachment to scan 40 slides at time.  As
long as I mount the slides in Gepe or Wess mounts there is never a
jam.  The scanner gives excellent scans across the plane of the film and I
prefer the Nikon software to Vuescan or Silverfast.  I've been scanning
slides almost constantly for the past two weeks and I reflect several times
a day how happy and lucky I am to have a very good Nikon scanner.  Some
people don't like it because it uses a hard light to scan that shows every
defect.  It is compared to a condenser enlarger rather than a diffusion
enlarger.  I always preferred condenser enlargers.  Those defects are
there, but they are very sharp and you can use the healing brush to get rid
of them!  The Digital ICE is fantastic for every film except B&W negative
and Kodachrome.  You can't use it for that.  The ROC restores color for
faded E6 slides and old negatives and the GEM will smooth the exaggerated
grain in those ancient Tri-X negatives in your files.  I don't use those
often, but they are lifesavers when they are needed.

Polaroid is bankrupt.  Go with Nikon.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com