Subject: Re: [Leica] extremely limited use of leica M cameras by iraqi state media
From: Skip Williams <leica@skipwilliams.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:25:44 -0500

I'd bet anything that almost all the newswire photos you see are digital.  I too noticed several of the ultra-wide views, which leads me to believe that they're using one of the 14mm's, a full-frame fisheye, or a 16-xx WA zoom.  I wouldn't assume that they're using Canon D1s's.  There'a likely a mixture of D1, D1h, D1x, D100, EOS D30, EOS D60, EOS 1D, EOS 1Ds, Fuji S1/S1, and Olympus E-10/20's out there.  There may even be a few compact digitals too.  I could see the E-10/20's having some significant advantage with their sealed systems, if you could deal with the limited lens selection.  I don't know how dust-sealed they are though; I doubt if it's as good as the high-end Canons or Nikons.

I can't see any easy way to get film out of the field, processed, and then scanned or transmitted to a newswiere 1/2 way around the globe.  Why go through all the trouble when you have a much better way.  Direct transmittal from an in-the-field laptop via satellite phone to the news agency's in-theatre or head office seems must more effecient.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost