Subject: Re: [Leica] question on pricing prints
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:19:36 -0800

daniel wrote:

> anyways i got a call from a gentlemen that is interested in
> purchasing one maybe two prints but i'm not sure on pricing. I was
> hoping
> the lug could come to my rescue. Prints are 6x9 inches archivaly
> proccessed
> fiber based paper b+w prints. he asked for prices framed and unframed.
> My
> neighbor did the framing for the show archival mats uv glass all that
> good
> stuff. i just don't know the going rate for this stuff. any
> suggestions.

Prices for art are entirely arbitrary.  The only rational basis you can
for determining a price are (a) the cost of the materials, and (b) the
time it took to produce the print times whatever you consider a
reasonably hourly compensation.

I've bought prints from LUGGERS for around $20-$50, depending upon
whether they are glicee, RC or FB, the size of the print.  Established
artists seem to sell their prints for around $200 and up into the
stratosphere.  These are prices for just the print, or matted.  Framed
pictures are usually 50%-100% more expensive again.

But even these are not guidelines, just experiences.  I've seen 6x9",
matted FB prints for sale for $350 by "unknown" artists.  I've seen
16x20" framed FB prints for sale for $150 by "unknown" artists.

The price is whatever you want to charge for it.  There is no rational
basis for setting a price for art.  Determine what you think would be a
sum of money that you'd accept in order to part with a print of yours,
and then quote that to whomever is interested in buying one.

Ultimately, it's all psychology.  Part of it is that art is "supposed"
to be expensive.  True art connoiseurs are probably easier to deal
with.  If they like something, they'll buy it, if they are willing to
part with the amount of money to get it.  Less experienced art buyers
are stuck between wanting to get something as cheaply as possible, and
at the same thinking that "art should be expensive".

Think of a number.  Put a dollar sign infront of it and email your
potential customer.

M.