Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica (Comrades:-) (sarcasm ofcourse)
From: "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:31:13 +0100

Ruddy,

I think that you are confusing the list and its members. I know many of
the LUG members in person, and when we get together over a beer or
whatever, of course we discuss all kinds of things: Leica, politics,
cars, whatever, like any group of friendly people would. But there is a
time and place for everything, and the LUG is dedicated to discussions
of primarily Leica photography and Leica equipment. Yes, I know that
Brian tolerates uncontroversial off-topic threads but only up to a
point. If people wish to discuss Iraq, there is the separate LUGforum
list that Brian has set up for precisely such purposes (as far as I
recall, this was something he introduced following the terrorist attacks
on Sept. 11 2001). Or you can email people privately. I have had such
private exchanges in recent days with several members of the list.

The mail from Peter Moss to which you refer can hardly be characterized
as "reaching out" to anyone. Sending a virulently anti-American
off-topic message to a list where probably 2/3 of the participants are
American was clearly designed to provoke name-calling and flames.
Whatever you think of the wisdom of the course embarked upon by the US
and the UK, this list is simply not the proper forum for that
discussion. Let us use an analogy from the non-virtual world: let's say
you went to an academic conference, say, the annual meeting of the
American Economic Association (I am picking that example because I have
participated in those many times). If you tried to give a talk on the
portrayal of female characters in James Joyce's works, you would not be
able to get on the agenda. Not because economists are not interested in
literature, but simply because an AEA conference would not be the forum
for such a talk. The hotel bar in the evening would be a much better
place. Well, here the LUGforum is that hotel bar, and everyone is welcome.

Nathan