Subject: Re: [Leica] veiling flare on 50/2
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:50:38 -0800

Hi Guys,
As I'm a long time user of the Noctilux, is there really any other 50mm ?
;-) thought I'd throw that in for something to do on a Monday afternoon. :-)
I can't say I've ever seen a flare/veiling with it, mine anyway.

But I've found a number of posts on this veiling thing rather interesting
because if someone knows this is an occurrence with the 50 Summicron ? and
one knows it happens, then why use it in light direction that creates the
veiling?

Or is this some weird veiling thing that happens with some photographers and
not others using the same lens type?

Or is it a bit of make work and effort of taking pictures for something to
do on a quiet day, rather than using the Leica and film for real pictures
instead? Or has anyone asked directly of Erwin Puts or directly of Leica
anywhere in the world, if this is a real or imagined problem, than beating
your key boards and shutter releases to find a problem?

Like I said, it's a kind of quiet afternoon around here after I've just
finished souping 207 rolls of Tri-x for the Women in Medicine book. And at
the moment it's sort of a rest time before making 207 contact sheets for
editing to find the cream for the 11X14 work prints.

Anyway I just thought I'd ask. But I do love my "Noctilux take it
everywhere" lens that reveals the most interesting photographs under the
least amount of light. :-) Just thought I'd throw that in to shake you folks
up a little. ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] veiling flare on 50/2)
Reply from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (Re: [Leica] veiling flare on 50/2)