Subject: [Leica] Epson 1280 with 1290 drivers
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:58:02 -0800 (PST)

Aram:

I have not heard of any benefit to using the 1290 driver on a 1280 with
color inks, but I haven't researched this.  You could check the Epson
group on Yahoo.

My printer is dedicated to B&W. With the MIS VM quadtone inks (hextone,
actually), the 1290 driver produces much better output, particularly with
the warm and cold (as opposed to neutral or near-neutral) "tonings."

You can find the 1290 driver on the epson UK website. Supposedly the 1280
and 1290 are pretty much the same printer with a different power supply.
But the 1290 driver came a bit later, and some bug was worked out.

I have both drivers on my system.  I do all printing with the 1290 driver.
Almost everything works, except the ink monitor, which seems to know that
the printer is not a 1290, so it ignores it.  This might only occur with
USB.  It doesn't matter, because I use the 1280 driver when I need the
utilities--ink level and head clogging checks, priming, etc.

I really wish that I could print B&W use the black ink only, with 2880
dpi. But I can only get it to work with 1440 dpi, and the dot pattern is
too coarse for my taste.  The quadtones are much nicer.

Hope this helps,
- --Peter