Subject: [Leica] Re:Leica] Canon i950 review, part 2
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:38:50 -0800

Martin:  I, like many, tried to do B&W prints with color inks, in my case,
on an Epson 1280.  My home-grown efforts were OK, but I never was able to
get rid of green or magenta casts.  And the casts varied in the various
shades of gray.  I got close, but never perfect.  A friend of mine has been
able to do it, but only with everything in the equipment chain finely
calibrated.  Given that the colors do shift over time, it may be gray
today, green tomorrow.  And the metamerism issue is very real--balance a
print for daylight, and it will look magenta under tungsten and green under
flourescent.  Or the dark tones will be OK but the light tones will go
weird on you.

I now use the Paul Roarke curves and MIS inks, and I've been quite pleased
with them.  The Epson 1280 driver has some very abrupt transitions, but
using the 1290 driver (from Epson's UK site) and Paul's 1290 curves has
solved that problem.

I would highly recommend going with quadtones.  Either Piezography or the
Roarke/MIS solution will work.  Metamerism does exist with the quads,
particularly the ones that can be "toned" cold or warm, but it's nowhere
near the issue it is with the color prints.

Piezography is more plug and play, and has many built-in paper
profiles.  But it requires Photoshop, and significant numbers of people
have had problems with printhead clogging.  It used to be much more
expensive, but now that's less of an issue after the initial outlay.

MIS uses the Epson driver, and thus will work with any program that can
import Photoshop color curves (I use Picture Window Pro).  There are far
less reports of clogging.  With the supplied curves, you can use any paper
you want, as long as it's Epson Archival Matte (and Matte Heavyweight is,
according to Paul, almost the same).  Other papers require the tweaking of
curves.  It's somewhat more economical, and the guy who wrote the curves
has basically given them to the user community.  So it's sort of like a
Linux situation--MIS sells the ink, but we've all got our thumbs in the
pie.  Curves seem to come out for most of the popular printers.

I can't agree with the "TV dinner" comment, although I appreciate Jim's
wit.  Once things are properly set up, inkjet prints can be
beautiful.  Different from silver, not as romantic as watching the image
appear in a tray, sure.  But you don't have to smell hypo all day, you have
more control over the process, and once an image is set, the results are
repeatable.

Hope this helps,
- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA