Subject: Re: [Leica] NOW SCOTCH! ;-) NOW XTOL! :-)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:35:18 -0800

Jerry Lehrer asked:
> Ted
>
> In line with your sentiments regarding the auto-exposure
> advantage of your M7,  is it true that most photo-journalists
> using film today, use autofocus, autoexposure SLR cameras?
>
> Assuming, of course that the noise of an SLR is not a
> driving factor.<<<<<

Hi Jerry,
I suppose that's the case for the young crowd who don't know any better and
speed is the important factor of what they are recording. It also means many
of them are moving to or have already done so, to digital for speed of
operation. And that's fair play, as news of the day is about the  "bottom
line first strike photographs," not quality of the photograph.

Having an image of something before everyone else is far more important than
the quality of the content in the photograph. However, that doesn't mean
many of the talented shooters covering the world wire scene today do not
shoot excellent photos, they do. Sometimes under severe conditions that most
on this list would shit their pants trying to cope with.

It's trying to compare apples and oranges, or in my case having left all
that crazy shoot 'em up stuff long ago, I'd much rather photograph
challenging subjects and not "challenging conditions" where you might lose
your life or suffer injury as I did from covering two wars that I thought at
the time were interesting, until I was hurt. :-(

But damn it was exciting and adrenaline pumping. ;-)

However, my associate Sandra Carter, Sandy, and I have just completed a
close to three months shooting schedule around North America for a new book,
"Women in Medicine." Where we used nothing but M6's, Sandy and M7's me, for
all the photography. So far everything is looking good, the exposures are
consistent throughout roll after roll, frame after frame.

Were there any cases that auto everything cameras would've made a
difference? Nope not one! Not even in the operating rooms where stuff is
happening very quickly during some operations and other medical situations.
In my case the M7's functioned flawlessly through 100 rolls plus of film in
the past two weeks.

>>> is it true that most photo-journalists using film today, use autofocus,
autoexposure SLR cameras?<<<<

I think I've answered this yes. But more than anything, I think they use the
auto cameras more out of convenience and because many of them have not had
any experience with a Leica to appreciate the finer things in photographic
life. That is, taking the extra moment to compose a better picture and to
just spend a bit more time making the photograph the best it can be.

Now that's not saying they don't shoot fine photographs, they do, hundreds
of them, nay thousands. But a moment more of time and concentration of
composition the photograph that makes everyone suck up their gut looking at
it shot with an auto everything camera, could quite possibly be a mind
blowing image with the few extra seconds of composure and focus of a Leica
or possibly other range finder camera.

Not always, but I bet a very good shooter with a Leica might possibly come
up with a better photograph than the point and shoot everything camera. Of
course in my humble opinion. ;-)
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Samples from the Women in Medicine project:
http://www.sandycarterphotography.com/WIMcollagePage.htm

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> ([Leica] NOW SCOTCH! ;-) NOW XTOL! :-))
Message from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] NOW SCOTCH! ;-) NOW XTOL! :-))