Subject: [Leica] Digital R and dust
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:52:24 -0500

Jim brick pointed out:

>One of the biggest problems with digital cameras with removable
>(interchangeable) lenses is dust. The sensor (CCD or CMOS) after having all

>of those electrons running through it to capture an image, builds up a huge

>amount of static electricity. Take the lens off and it's like a giant dust
>vacuum cleaner magnet. Ask any pro digital shooter or pro digital rental
>department. Same goes with a digital back. Keeping the sensor dust free is
>a G=I=A=N=T JOB. This is one reason that consumer digital cameras aren't
>offered with removable lenses.

On two separate occasions I've had dust on the CCD in my leica d100 which
has been a pain in the photoshopbutt though cleaning it off was no more
involved than a shot from the dust gun.

What was FAAAR more annoying was when my m6 was scratching film and I
couldn't figure out why:

 http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/scratch.jpg

 http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/scratches.jpg

 http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/weddings/jill/kscratch004.jpg

It was killing me. It went on for months.

Kc