Subject: Re: [Leica] across tries
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:43:32 +0100

Simon,

if you want a good indication of the resolution of a film you need a
test target with several sets of line pairs. Then you can compare
different films, but absolute figures are not for us amateurs to
determine. The test target will usually indicate the recommended
camera to test chart distance for directly translating the results to
lines per  millimeter, the distance normally being expressed as a
factor of focal length. If you stick to this factor, you can compare
the resolution of different focal length lenses, but make sure you
use  identical film and develop exactly the same way. Best way is to
do comparative lens tests on a single film. Don't forget the tripod,
and make sure light conditions are constant.

Or are you wanting to see what film is giving the sharpest image? Not
necessarily the same thing as highest resolution. Generally finer
grain film gives higher resolution, but the pictures may not look all
that sharp.

The highest resolution film in my experienced is Kodak Imagelink, but
it is hard to get hold of in the 35mm perforated variety. Kodak's
smallest pack is 20 rolls of 30,5 meter, enough for 20 times 18 rolls
of 36 exposures. About thirteen thousand frames. Much higher
resolution than TechPan, Agfa Copex and other smaller brand so called
super high resolution films. I'll try to write a summary of my
testing some time.

Chris

>Find this a nice film.
>http://www.leica-gallery.net/apekop/image-41552.html
>and an enlargement of the foot of the tower at
>http://www.leica-gallery.net/apekop/image-41554.html
>I,d like to try how much it can resolve with a tripod but think my scanner
>cant see a lot more.The crop is on an actual pixel level.
>best
>simon

- --
Christer Almqvist