Subject: Re: [Leica] Ruddy Up and Showing:-)
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:27:05 -0800

Christer Almqvist wrote:

>> The URL appears to be:
>>
>> http://www.leica-gallery.net/ruddy-roye/folder-4236.html
>>

> The girls: not beautiful, certainly not erotic and what is the
> message, if any?

I think that, if you read the captions, you'd be able to understand
that these are two examples from a larger work.  The captions suggest
that Ruddy has undertaken an effort to document the lives of sex
workers.  As such, one would not expect the images to be erotic, since
that would be participating in the exploitive effort which they are
already subject to.  Equally obvious, from the two examples posted
you're not going to be able to make out any message, because such a
message would be conveyed through the larger body of work.

Therefore, it's probably best to take his offering for what it is: a
quickly thrown together example of his photography, for our benefit,
and as a way of saying "Hi" to the LUG.

M.

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> ([Leica] across tries)