Subject: Re: [Leica] glitch in 35 f1.4? (DIY Leica Repair)
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:30:48 -0800

Leicas have a reputation for being readily 'field serviceable'. I have
read of war photogs carrying their Leicas around in plastic bags -  the
parts that is - until they have time to put them back together. In fact
that was one of the early appeals of the Leica, beyond the diminutive
size: a user could readily disassemble, clean, and reassemble the
camera in a trench or foxhole even. Not the rangefinder I think, but
the lenses and transport portions, certainly.

I have never tried, nor needed, to repair a Leica body, but I have
managed to lube up and do minor repairs on other, similarly simple,
cameras. Anyway, it is fun and interesting, as Austin pointed out.

- - marc

p.s. what is a 'tyro'?