Subject: Re: [Leica] glitch in 35 f1.4?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:57:45 -0700

I think I gave a measured response but perhaps Jerry is right in that I
should have gone further.

Stiff spots in the focusing helical is not unusual and can have several
causes depending on the lens in question and the age of that lens. Now
the lens was described as a chrome 35/1.4 M lens. This leaves a great
deal to the imagination as it could be an early 35/1.4 from the
sixties, a custom one from the seventies (yes Leitz did do custom work
for those who asked and were willing to pay) or it could be a chrome
version of the 35/1.4 Asph. I think we can safely leave out the middle
option which leaves an old lens or a new one.

The chrome 35/1.4 lens came with a metal focusing tab so this leaves
out the common 35/1.4 problem of a breaking plastic focusing tab which
can result in the tab retaining screws jamming up the works. Also this
is seldom described as a "slight hitch" as the focusing jams solid. So
it may be a lubrication problem with some old grease soap residue
gumming up the works. As the focusing helical is constructed to be to a
large extent self lubricating, and, as it is not under any particular
tension, I think it would be safe to work the helical back and forth to
see if the grease can be remixed. It certainly will not cause any harm.

If it is a 35/1.4 Asph in chrome finish, then it most likely the hitch
is caused by an impact or, again, a grease problem. I have not heard of
any problems with the tab screws backing out with the 35/1.4A as I have
heard with the 50/2 and 35/2. This does not rule out the possibility
but does make it less likely. Again, if this was the case. this would
seldom be described as a "slight hitch" as the metal to metal contact
(and not with two surfaces that were once machined to mate) usually has
a horrible grinding feel to it. It is however not unusual for the
35/1.4A with its big hood to get a significant side impact in the
course of our heated photographic wrestling with truth and justice.
This dents the brass helical and creates a tight spot. There is no
grinding of unhappy bedfellows nor any knocking about of parts at loose
ends. Just a slight tight spot, a slight, dare I say, hitch in the
focusing travel. Working it back and forth is unlikely to both improve
or worsen the situation.

So this brings us back to grease problems which are not as unusual as I
would like to report. Certain lenses actually seem to rather have a
difficult time with lubrication. I have had, and have heard of many
other, lenses which improved greatly or, dare I say, were fixed, by a
little time spent moving the focusing ring back and forth. My 90/2AA
was such a lens and this is not an uncommon occurrence in Leicadom.

Back to whatever it was we were originally talking about leaves me
thinking that the slight hitch is most likely caused a previous side
impact if it the lens in question is the 35/1.4A; and, by grease
separation, if it is a chrome 35/1.4. In either case a bit of back and
forth will do no more harm and might jolly well fix it. It is worth a
try.

However I agree with Jerry, in that the human capacity for
understatement should have had me add the proviso that if it is a nasty
grinding grating sort of slight hitch, you should bundle it off to your
LLRPOM (Local Leica Repair Person of Merit) right away.

John Collier

PS: My 35/1.4A, not chrome mind you, developed just such a slight
hitch. Undoubtedly due to my enthusiasm during a moment of photographic
debauchery of which all memory has faded. I moved it back and forth for
the requisite period of time to no avail -- no difference at all
actually -- and finally sent in in to be repaired. The cost was the, by
Leica standards, modest amount I alluded to in my earlier post.

PPS: I do hope this post is more to your satisfaction Jerry. I do
endeavor to please. Please do continue to expand upon any posts I make.
I live I learn.

PPPS: It would be nice if the "rabid dog who has taken a sudden dislike
to ones taste in clothes" manner that so often flavors your corrections
to me could be softened somewhat. Something a tad more congenial
perhaps?

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] glitch in 35 f1.4?)
Reply from "John O. Newell" <jnewell@attbi.com> (Re: [Leica] glitch in 35 f1.4?)