Subject: RE: [Leica] Entry level non-Leica
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:37:11 -0500

Here, here!

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us] On Behalf Of Nathan
Wajsman (private)
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 1:22 AM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Mark,

Have you actually ever used a Cosina/Voigtländer Bessa R2? Because I am
sure if you had, you would not call it cheap and plasticky. That
description may have been applicable to the first model, Bessa L, but
since then Cosina has made big strides, and the R2 is a solid camera in
every respect. The only thing cheap about it is the price. No, it is not

a Leica M, the shutter is not as buttery smooth and the viewfinder not
as nice (it is, however, the nicest viewfinder I have ever seen on a
non-Leica camera), but then again, it costs $400 or so. To someone like
Kit's student friend on a budget it is by far the best way to get into
rangefinder photography--this is a camera that Leica should have
produced. A much better option than some 50-year old clunker which
probably cannot easily be repaired anymore. And if, as Erwin says, the
Cosina lenses outperform all but the latest Leica lenses, then I am sure

they also outperform the lenses found on those old Voigtländers. Plus,
Kit's friend can use Leica M lenses on the Bessa R2 when his finances
allow it.

As for the name: When Cosina went into this line of business they
evidently decided that in order to be able to market to Leica
afficionados or wannabees they needed to attach some old German name to
it, so they perfectly legally bought the rights to use the name of a
long-defunct German camera company from its current owners. I know that
you and Marc James Small are very critical of this, but it was a
legitimate marketing decision. I personally think that by now, Cosina's
products stand on their own and the Voigtländer name is no longer
necessary, but if it helps sales, then I am all for it. We should admire

Cosina for having the guts to come out with a new rangefinder line in
this day and age, and for continuing to invest in it with innovative
products like the upcoming 1.2/35mm lens.

Nathan

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I'm very much into Voigtländer cameras. These plastic Cosinas we are
> talking about are good for what they are but calling themselves
> "Voigtländer Germany" is a lie folks. Does anyone know the difference
> between telling a like and telling the truth? Look at my camera. Then
> look at one of these Cosinas. And tell me if they have anything in
> common at all beside the name at the top. Buy the way used
> Voigtländers like this made in the 50's make great starter Leicas. I
> hope you can get through this new thing with this kid.
>
> "No i don't want it cool, Leicalike, excellent and cheep used" I want
> it plasticy and crappy and compleatly unLeicalike and new!" Maybe if
> you phrased it not quite that way...

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland