Subject: Re: [Leica] Entry level non-Leica
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:59:52 -0800

Skip Clemmons wrote:

> I learned with a Rollei 35, f 3.5 40, and I still use it when I want to go
> light..  It takes a remarkable picture, accepts a flash, travels well, is
> simple, and effective.  Set the aperture, estimate the (hyperfocal)
> distance, point and shoot.  Only available used, should cost less than a new
> Voigtlander/Bessa whatever, take a comparable or better picture, and elicit
> better conversation at parties.  Easily repaired and there are quite a few
> of them around.  Perfect student camera IMHO.  When he graduates to the
> Leica, he will likely sell it without losing money, if necessary.
>
> Skip Clemmons

I did the same thing and agree with the above completely, Skip.
The Rollei 35 made me get into Leica. Also an Olympus XA.

But why sell it? It's your Connecticut Leica. Gets in those hard to
reach places.
Get a belt pouch thing and set it and forget it.
I DID forget it plenty of times I'd walk by some cool facade and think
"gee that's a cool facade wish I'd brought a camera."
I'd get home take off my coat and Poof! Realize I did have a camrea with
me all along!
8x10 prints from the Zeiss 3.5 Tessar 40mm Lens look not just as good as
a full sized 35mm camera, it looks as good as better full sized 35mm camera.
Or put it this way. IN a stack of 8x10 fiber prints all taken with Leica
glass no one spots the two shots taken with the Tessar 40 on the
miniature Rollei 35. They are indistinguishable.
No so with prints from the Oly which have pronounced vignetting.  v*n-yRt2-ting.
And a kind of sharp, kind of soft appearence. Which is ok if that's what
you are looking for.
Me i'm not looking for character I'll read Dickens.

Personally I have the camera i learned with which is a Voigtländer Vito
BL which i got in 1965.
I'm very much into Voigtländer cameras. These plastic Cosinas we are
talking about are good for what they are but calling themselves
"Voigtländer Germany" is a lie folks. Does anyone know the difference
between telling a like and telling the truth?
Look at my camera. Then look at one of these Cosinas. And tell me if
they have anything in common at all beside the name at the top. Buy the
way used Voigtländers like this made in the 50's make great starter Leicas.
I hope you can get through this new thing with this kid.

"No i don't want it cool, Leicalike, excellent and cheep used"
I want it plasticy and crappy and compleatly unLeicalike and new!"
Maybe if you phrased it not quite that way...

I just as soon sell my first camera as cut off my left ear. I left it on
a Chicago bus once. When though the motions of calling the CTA. "We've
got it right here when can you pick it up."

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from Mickey Rosenthal <michelr@inter.net.il> (Re: [Leica] Entry level non-Leica)