Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica MP and Leicavit M
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:17:11 -0800

leica-user@ispwest.com wrote:

> --Hi Ya-all
> Really sorry about the cloak and dagger:-)
> My name is Ruddy,
> I guess before anyone think that I am passing judgement..let me say..I am but with the
> object of including myself in this mirror that I look at and criticise.
> Funny enough, I have learnt a lot about the cameras and the lenses i use,,but by
> themselves, they are not legacies..well not ones that i would like someone in the future to
> label me just as....say.."very expensive german equipment user."
>
> I guess I am looking for  an elixir...maybe..Deep...Philosophic...Harangue (DPH) on a topic
> that might change the way people live, think, eat, listen to the news, discuss politics, treat
> or fellowman, care for our environment........support and not support a country raqcing to
> war..i don't know...I guess I am also asking myself why am I a photographer?
>
> I apologise if my chattering offends anybody...(not my intent)  I am genuinely and
> passionately wondering why we the people with such skill and (expensive equipment)
> why do we do the thing we do...
>
> Thanks for the suggestion Nathan..
> peace
>
> --

Hello Ruddy just a few passing problems and thoughts.

1. No last name. You are in effect anonymous. Apologized. But not
explained why.
My experience with people on the lug who do not want us to know their
names is not good. Almost always trouble. Soon thier gone. Exception
being Johnny Deadman who we've known for at least 5 years to be
"Brownlow" and a major talent and force on the LUG and elseware on the web.

In your first paragraph you talk about searching for your identify for
your legacy. A camera won't do it.  Well we're searching for your
identity now! You know ours! We know ours! We don't know yours. Its rude.

> I guess I am looking for  an elixir...maybe..Deep...Philosophic...Harangue (DPH) on a topic
> that might change the way people live, think, eat, listen to the news, discuss politics, treat
> or fellowman, care for our environment........support and not support a country racing to
> war..i don't know...I guess I am also asking myself why am I a photographer?

2. If the above is what you think  you are going to find on the lug then
I hate to bring you bad news.
This is an equipment list. Leica User Group.  It's about using a certain
brand camera, Leica's.
Its not about "topics that might change the way people live, think, eat,
listen to the news, discuss politics, treat or(sic) fellowman, care for
our environment." It just not. It's about lens caps and UV filters.
We're Geeks you see...

That stuff goes under the heading of OT off-topic and you're supposed to
do it with as much restraint as possible.
Especially political stuff. And you do seem to have a political agenda.
And  you're anonymous.
In my experience a real bad combination. Someone with ultra high ideals
but who can't even begin to stand behind them.
So "Nathan" knows who you really are?

3. Get a name. Cool it with the righteously high ideas and political
agenda for the lug and I wish you a merry Lugmas.

4. We know your political and philosophic leanings but not a clue as to
which camera, lens and UV filters you use and what you use them FOR!
Putting some picture up in the web will give you a lot more leeway.
I'm here on the LUG to talk about cameras. And photography especially
when it involves Leica cameras.
IF i wanted to talk politics. I'd join that list. And pepper them with
UV filter posts yea that's the ticket.

Mark (the muncher) Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com