Subject: Re: [Leica] Help: Contrast management in Photoshop
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:48:32 -0500

At 11:44 AM 3/11/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>However, in Photoshop, I'm lost.  What I'd ideally like to do is get
>Photoshop to do is two things: pull apart the end points in a local region
>(masked off by a selection) and then "fill in the blanks" in the resulting
>histogram so that I get a smooth tonal gradation and no posterization.
>
>Is there any way of accomplishing this?
>

>M.

Martin -

Jon Cone has a technique on his site for getting blacker blacks that is one
way of dealing with the contrast.  I can't find it right now but here is
the workflow:

- -- go into Channels and click "Load Channel as Selection" (far left symbol
at bottom of column)

- -- click on Quick Mask Mode (Tools - 3rd from bottom, right)

- -- Unclick visibility of Gray Channel

- -- Use Image/Adjust/Curves to eliminate all of the image except the shadow
detail

- -- Image/Adjust/Invert

- -- click on "Edit in Standard Mode"  (Tools, 3rd from bottom, left) to turn
Quick Mask back into selection

- -- Now with shadows active, use levels to move the black point in (it
doesn't take much to make a big difference)

Deselect.

You can also fix blown highlights by doing the reverse and selecting the
highlights and adding a little Guassian Blur.

This is all much easier than it sounds.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com