Subject: Re: [Leica] developing question - long reply
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <jgp@gilplant.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 10:00:25 -0500

Learning to process my own film was the single most important step in
improving my work for two reasons: first it made me much more aware of
what I was doing technically, second it allowed my to shoot at least
ten times as much film for the same money. I tried to follow David
Allen Harvey's advice of using one body, one lens (ha! with the lab
fees saved I bought more glass too), and one film - for an entire year.

I chose to go with HP5+ and Xtol (1=3) because I'd heard good things
about them on this list. I bought the film in 50 roll boxes from B&H. I
mixed the Xtol and stored it in plastic bottles contrary to the advice
(from Mark Rabiner) that only glass bottles would store the stuff
safely - I've had no problems with the plastic but others have had
different experience. I use the local tap water too, which others may
say is a no-no. I made these choices solely out of expediency.

I read the Ansel Adams' "The Negative, and "Film Developing Cookbook":

qid=1047219230/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6095693-3815163?v=glance&s=books

Both were somewhat over my head. So I continued to expose pretty much
as the Leica's meter indicated, and I followed the Kodak Xtol
instructions for developing the film to the letter at first. Soon I
discovered that I could use water instead of stop bath; then that if I
left out the hardener (Part B of the Kodak Rapid Fixer) or used
Ilford's fixer, I could eliminate the Hypo Clearing Agent. When my
results became consistent, I tried (again on Mark Rabiner's suggestion)
using Ilford's agitation recommendations. Then on John Brownlow's
recommendation I began to vary the agitation (less at the end, for
greater compensation and edge effect sharpness). I stuck with my method
until I could do it in my sleep.

  After about a year I ran out of film one day and bought some Tri-X
because the store didn't carry Ilford. I adjusted the time based on the
differences in the data sheets, but did everything else exactly the
same. The results were horrible! A few weeks later someone complained
that they didn't like the grain of HP5+, said it was mushy! I had just
gotten a new scanner (4000dpi vs. 2700dpi) and so I did a comparison
between the Ilford and that one roll of Tri-X. I liked the grain of the
Tri-X better, but the contrast was all wrong. For a few weeks I went
back and forth between them, but the Tri-X just wasn't working. Then I
tried using Kodak's times and agitation schedule _to the letter_ on the
Tri-X, and Voila! (Kodak no longer recommends diluting Xtol 1+3, and
I've gotten to like the shorter times with 1+1). Of course now I'm down
to the last four rolls of Tri-X, and no doubt the next bricks will be
the new "improved" Tri-X that Kodak has come out with, so I'll have to
change my processing and experiment some. Oh, one of the things I
really like about Tri-X is that I can push and pull it pretty freely.

Tri-X at B&H costs $2.09 per roll, and developing in Xtol 1+1 costs
about $0.26 per roll. To get better pictures I need to shoot at least
500 rolls per year. There's no way I'd want to pay someone else to
process all that film and give me back negatives that were hard to
print and probably dusty and scratched!

Simon, regarding the scanning question, looking at your pictures I
would say that the thing you really need to do is learn to use the
Curves function in Photoshop. I had a Nikon LS 4000, and had the same
problem with the Nikon software clipping shadows and highlights, but I
actually sold it because the LED light source was picking up scratches
in the film that I couldn't see with a loupe. I now use a Minolta DS
MultiPro (4800dpi in 35mm!) which has a more diffuse fluorescent light
source. IMO Minolta's software sucks too so I use Vuescan. Set the
black and white points very low (0.02 or so, check the histogram),
ignore the film type setting or be prepared to experiment a lot. The
scans come out very flat, but all the detail is there. Always scan in
16-bit grayscale and save to TIFF. Then you can ste the black and white
points in the Levels dialog adjust the contrast in the Curves dialog of
Photoshop without posterization. Do NOT use the brightness or contrast
functions, you will get clipping and lose detail. One tip: when setting
black and white points in Levels, hold the Option key(that's Macintosh,
'alt' on PC?) to see clipping; and when adjusting curves add a control
point by Command (CNTRL) -clicking on any tone in the image. Ok, that's
two tips :-)

And if this lengthy tome doesn't help enough, send me a one-way ticket
to Schiphol, and I'll come show you how it's done - no, I can only show
you how I do it. Your mileage may vary.

Gilbert (American of Dutch descent, pining for the old country in these
uncertain times)