Subject: Re: [Leica] price gouging/economics etc.
From: "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 11:34:40 +0100

Jack,

First of all, I did not perceive in the slightest that your initial
reply was a personal attack, so no need to apologize on your part. It
ought to be possible to have a civilized debate on the LUG and I believe
that you and I are showing that with our exchanges on this topic.

The concept of "fair" prices is, as we agree, impossible to define. In
the water-for-hurrican victims example, all reasonable people would
agree that $20/gallon is immoral and constitutes price gouging. How much
lower the price needs to be for it to become "fair" is impossible to
define a priori. It is a bit like the pornography definition, you know
it when you see it.

However, my point is that the whole issue of fair pricing and morality
is simply meaningless when we talk about Leicas and associated
accessories. We are not talking about necessities of life by any stretch
of the imagination here. We are talking about a luxury item, and the
only guide to whether the price in some sense is correct or not is
whether supply and demand are balanced at that price. Therefore, I find
it impossible to call Leica a price gouger--the concept simply has no
applicability here. They try to set prices that will maximize profits,
period. That is the prerogative of every business, even Tom's. In this
respect, I do not believe that there is a fundamental difference between
Tom and Leica. Sure, the cost structures are different, the size is
different and so on, but in the final analysis both of them provide a
product into the market and both must cover their costs and make a
profit in order to stay in business in the long run.

As for ticket scalping, it is illegal in some jurisdictions and legal in
others, so I find it difficult to use the law as a guide to what is
moral and what is not. Also, the law permits many activities which I as
a human being consider immoral, so again, it is a poor guide to morality.

Kind regards,
Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman