Subject: Re: [Leica] M6/M6TTL power consumption...
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 23:02:40 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> > A point I could argue. :-)
>
> Yes, but it would be a losing argument.  They are electrical, and unless
> something was in contact with them that could possibly induce an electrical
> current, or short them, there could be no effect from having tape over them
> vs not having tape over them.
>
> > How much time can it take to cover them and see?
>
> I don't know, not much, but it's a fool's errand.  Why on earth would you
> imagine that covering two little electrical terminal with tape would effect
> my measurements?  The battery is out of the camera, I am using EZ-Hooks on
> the center conductor, and the rim.  The EZ-Hooks are not even near the two
> little test point contacts, and nothing is in contact with these contacts
> but air.
>
> You may as well check it with the film rewind crank flipped out, vs closed,
> or perhaps it is because I am using a UV filter on the front of my lense!
> ;-)
>
> Austin

Austin and John and others... You KNOW I'm no electrician but:
Because there's a huge precedent for those seemingly inert forces on a
test to have real effect in the results.
That's why you try to eliminate as many variables as you can or things
which are happening with one example which is not happening with the other.

A piece of tape on a terminal may at first glace be inconsequential. But
is it making for a better contact? Grounding it  better somehow?
Interfering with the electrical field somehow?

If we're testing a baseball we use the same mitt with both balls. We
don't use one mit for one ball and another mit for the other ball and
think we know the difference between the two balls.

We have to take into consideration that we don't know how everything in
the physical world works yet.

Who knows if the colors get brighter on the TV set when you stand closer
to it and whistle? Maybe they do!

Am i arguing for the scientific method? Maybe not.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com
Email: mark@rabinergroup.com