Subject: Re: [Leica] Agfa 100 in XTOL
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 23:01:56 -0800

Adam Bridge wrote:

> On 3/7/03 Mark Rabiner  wrote:
>
> > and am reflecting that I haven't been happy with this film developed in XTOL
> >1:3
> > or even 1:1.
> >

> >Happy?
> >

> I was speaking to my own shooting, not this particular image, and that I haven't
> been able to exploit this film as well as I might and so was wondering if I
> should be processing film differently.
>
> Adam
> --

If it's too thin give it more time, too thick then less time. If giving
it more time does not increase density and contrast then try the 1:1. By
the way by more time I mean three or four minutes. You should see a
difference in three of four minutes. I've never run Xtol in Agfa 100 but
my experience with Agfa film is they need WAY more time than is
indicated on the box or the Rodinal box. Like twice more and twice as
much time as any other film.
I'm assuming that not "happy" means the negs are too thing requiring too
high a contrast filter to print them and then they are tricky to print.
Sharp but grainy and thin looking.

I'd be amazed if Xtol and Agfa are non compatible. I did run some 120
Agfa 25 in it and got a final developing time and some good prints out
of it. Then the film disappeared off the market.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com
Email: mark@rabinergroup.com