Subject: Re: [Leica] Mark Pope's photographic paper comments
From: "David Rodgers" <daverodgers@lightcurves.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 16:55:33 -0800

Mark

>>On balance I prefer silver halide.  You can't beat the buzz of seeing a 'fine' print coming out of the fix.  The moment the white light comes on is still magical.  Inkjets are nice but don't give me the same satisfaction.<<

Great reply. And this comment you make really sums up how I feel.

I lived in Denver, CO in the early '90s. I used to frequent the Camera Obscura Gallery. It's my favorate of many galleries I've visited over the years. One day I was in the owner's office and he showed me some images he was brokering. I remember one image in particular. It was quite valuable. The subject matter wasn't anything special. Just a head and shoulders portrait of a person, no bigger than 5x7. But the image was absolutely magical. I can't describe why it was special. But anyone with any knowledge about photography would be impressed, I'm certain. (My knowledge wasn't and still isn't that great)  More than anything seing that image showed me the potential of silver printing. Maybe ink jet has the same potential, too.

BTW, I remember seeing Micheal Kenna's work at the CO gallery. His split-toned prints were absolutely gorgeous, and required quite a bit of effort based on conversations at the show opening. I've yet to be as impressed by anything I've seen involving ink on paper work. OTOH, I haven't been to many galleries lately. And ink jet printing is rapidly evolving.

DaveR

- --
DaveR
www.lightcurves.com