Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: BD & The Leicavit-M
From: Stephen Gandy <LeicaNikon@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:00:22 -0800

Sal,

I don't know all the details, perhaps Tom can explain once he is back online
when he returns home, as well answering questions concerning the new Leicavit M
and the Rapidwinder.

that "someone" is Cosina's CEO Mr. Kobayashi, who said that Cosina owns the
Japanese patent for the mechanism.  Stefan Daniels said that he would check into
it, when informed of same at PMA.   I am unclear of the patent details, whether
it concerns the lock itself, or how the winder connects to the camera, or
what.   However,  Kobayashi believes there is some sort of infringement as far
as the Japanese market.  As Cosina is manufacturing the Bessa T/R2 trigger
winder, it is not that surprising Cosina would patent whatever possible on the
Cosina Voigtlander Trigger Winder in Japan as a matter of routine business.
Kobayashi did not seem overly concerned.   I expect Leica and Cosina to work it
out easily.

Stephen