Subject: RE: [Leica] Leicavit, After Market Products, etc.
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 16:22:56 -0500

Hi Kit,

> That said, Isn't that what I've been saying? That they are
> DIFFERENT?

Yes, they ARE different...but you said VERY different, which is what I took
issue with.  The internal mechanism IS different, no doubt, but the form and
function certainly isn't, nor is the features, or use, or cameras they work
on, as far as I know.

> The argument, which has become quite
> argumentative, unfortunately, is that they are very different
> products

I disagree that they are VERY different products.  What is different,
product wise, between the two?  Is there any feature one has over the other?
Do they work on different cameras?  Do they provide a different function?

> Folks were saying, "How come this thing is more expensive when they're the
> same thing?" I said that no, they are not the same.

OK, what's different in the PRODUCT, not the company etc.?  There are
DIFFERENCES in the two products, as far as internal mechanisms, markings
etc., no doubt, but that does not make them "different" products.

> And they are not the
> same.

No doubt, but they serve the same function, work on the same cameras, and
operate the same way, do they not?

> As far as profit margins go, how do you know that Tom's margin is
> lower than
> Leica's?

I don't, nor do I care.  What I care about is what they quality of the
product is, and what it costs me.

> Tom's may cost less, but how do
> you know that he isn't making a higher profit percentage than Leica is
> making on theirs?

It's none of my business, and doesn't enter into the equation as to which
one I am going to buy.

> That's a good question to ask.

Why?

Regards,