Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicavit, After Market Products, etc.
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:20:26 -0700

Low production copies should always be more expensive unless the
original has an obscene profit margin or collector's value. The Bessa
is cheap because the only expensive part is the viewfinder. That is
amply illustrated by the price difference between a Bessa L and a R2.

The reason that other manufacturers do not make a high end rangefinder
like the Leica is that production volumes are too low to recover costs.
H*** Nikon ended up selling every Nikon S3 (special ed) at a loss and
they are still languishing on the dealer's shelves. The S3 even has a
very simple viewfinder compared to Leica's. The only serious attempt at
a Leica competitor is the Konica Hexar RF which seems to have been done
to raise the profile of the company (look what it did for Minolta).
Konica now seems to be completely ignoring the RF line now.

John Collier