Subject: Re: [Leica] PMA 2003
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:24:03 -0800

From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>

> I'd say that if one was honestly assessing PMA, and one saw Leica's
> black paint M6 with an M3 rewind knob, with it's not-as-well-made at
> twice-the-price version of Tom A's Rapidwinder, and then looked at what
> Canon, Olympus, and others were showing, one would say that Leica
> did indeed "not have much to show." ;-)

I should have been clearer as to what I meant by Leica not having much to
show.
Aside of the limited new products, the emphasis seemed to be on engaging
dealers for securing sales at the show.
In years past the counters at Leica were besieged by an eager Leica public.
I did not see the same this year.
The images portraying Leica equipment and photography also where not up to
the impact that other manufacturers achieved with their own displays.

Having said the above, I would like to add that in spite of the fact that we
are conditioned to crave the new, newer, and latest, I am not disappointed
with Leica's direction.
After all, we have chosen Leica not for the whistles and bells but for its
quality and endurance of basic features.
I am all for progress and advancement (the M7 satisfied my need for an
advanced model). I am also for timeless styling, superb craftsmanship, and
value.

I believe that there will always be a Leica as well as Rolex, Ferrari, and
pizza.
The introduction of the Voigtlander R-2 will put a dent into Leica bodies
sales. It is there that the company will have to staunch the bleeding with
more aggressive marketing and innovation.

Joe