Subject: Re: [Leica] Capa and Steinbeck
From: Slobodan Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 18:24:49 -0800

True, but lost in the sense that we didn't have access to them. I can't
seem to find my copy to peruse the details of the text. Although that
material in itself wouldn't be a litmus test of the actual historical
facts. I remember talk in the 70's about negs that were no longer
available of the Spanish Civil War. I bet those are the very ones.

What is so compelling about the material is the progression from the
exuberance of the beginning victories to the despair during the retreat
and final battles. I've met a few of those veterans, and have always
been moved by their stoic acceptance of their defeat.

But would it been somewhat awkward to print those during the period of
the Anglo-American supported dictatorship of the catholic
hyper-fundamentalist generalissimo Franco. Oops, did I just say all
that. Well, never mind.
Slobodan Dimitrov