Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Guilt?
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 15:09:16 -0800

At 2:25 PM -0700 3/2/03, Kit McChesney | acmefoto wrote:
>Gosh. I wish they had transatlantic crossings for passengers (not just
>merchant marines) by ship these days. Used to be, so I'm told, you could
>take a tanker or a cargo ship across the waters ... is this still true? Has
>anyone ever done this, or done it recently?
>
>Kit

I've been across the Atlantic a number of times by ship, but the last
time was 1967. A couple of times by freighter. These were small ones,
about 4 to 7K tons, with accommodation for up to 12 passengers. This
sort of accommodation isn't available anymore, due to legal/insurance
issues, but I believe you can still get across the oceans on some
freighters if there is space in crew quarters that isn't used.
Entertainment takes on a different meaning than on passenger liners
with thousands of people.

Storms on land seem pretty mild compared to the same storm at sea.
Winter on the North Atlantic on a 5000 ton freighter can be quite
memorable. Taking pictures, though is a serious challenge, as hanging
on becomes your life's focus.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design