Subject: RE: [Leica] M6/M6TTL meters
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:43:59 -0800

At 11:40 AM -0500 2/28/03, Austin Franklin wrote:
>  > I believe that part way through the production of the M6 classic the
>>  metering range was extended to EV -1.
>
>Henning,
>
>It appears that way...but do you have any idea what they did to do this?  I
>think knowing the differences (in specs that is) when buying a used M6 is
>important, and I'm glad this was brought up, and the M6 "classic" I bought
>happens to be a later one.
>
>Regards,
>
>Austin

I don't know when exactly it happened, but I do know that the
circuitry in the M6 was modified at least once during its run, as the
later cameras responded differently than the older ones when the
light level got too low. I used to have an M6 from the first year of
production, and when i got the newer one I still have, (from 1990) I
noticed a different type of response.

In the early M6's, the LED's would just go out if the light level was
too low for the meter; in the later ones the LED's would blink. I
believe the sensitivity change came at the same time.

Just noted that Stephen Gandy's site lists the crossover for chrome
at #1761599 and black at #1773199 in late 88, early 89.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com