Subject: RE: [Leica] OR photography and what can really happen
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:59:55 -0700

Simon--

Well, I think that docs in the OR are under tremendous pressure to perform
quickly (we can debate why all day long, but insurance companies probably
have something to do with it given their push to drive down medical
expenses) and to get people out of the hospital as fast as possible. There
were reports that they had closed incisions leaving surgical instruments,
other surgical equipment, waste from the surgery itself (materials used in
the process) and other debris. Patients discovered that they had "stuff"
inside their bodies later, after developing serious infections. The result
of many preventable mistakes is often death. And then there are the cases
where the wrong part of the body was subject to operation, etc, not to
mention the amputation of the "wrong" limb. Ouch.

I think the best procedure for minimizing mistakes is to slow down. Like
anything else. Slower is better. Haste makes waste.

Kit