Subject: Re: OT- Mini Cooper RE: [Leica] Leica does it again
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:09:59 -0500

At 07:26 PM 2/23/03 -0700, John Collier wrote:
>Bosch was trying some innovative miniaturization in the early eighties
>with unfortunate results. A good deal too many contact problems. These
>were successfully sorted out and Bosch now is very reliable. I have
>always preferred Bosch to Lucas myself but then I cut my mechanical
>teeth on Volkswagens before moving onto British and French cars.

John

I was speaking more of Bosch prior to 1970, when they moved a lot of
production to Mexico.  The German-built stuff tended to be exquisitely
finished but otherwise of mediocre quality;  the Hecho en Mexico Bosch gear
is far less delicately finished but was tough as nails.

Schott has found the same thing out, on a very tangential optical link, and
makes much of its consumer glass in Mexico today.  I still have two Braun
coffee pots with the SCHOTT label on them but, when they break, they, too,
will be replaced by a Hecho en Mexico carafe.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!