Subject: Re: [Leica] BD and the M7
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:34:51 -0800

grduprey@rockwellcollins.com wrote:

> Hello to everyone.  I am new to the list and have been contemplating a
> posting on another subject of my own, but I am going to bow into the
> current New vs Old controversy.
>
> I understand the tendency of liking the old cameras and not liking the
> changes made to the newer cameras, but it is not really fair to Leica or
> any other company.  If they want to stay in business and be competitive,
> they Must make changes/evolve their products to both keep their current and
> also attract new customers.  I also like to use the older gear, I have a
> Leicaflex SL and used to have a M-3, But I am also glad to see the newer
> cameras coming out of Leica, I have a R-4SP and just recently bought a
> M-6TTL/.85.  I use them all about equally as they each have particular
> things they do best over the other cameras.  I also have a Nikon F-3HP, but
> I have not used it in over 5 years, it is currently being used by an
> exchange student we are hosting this year so it is being used right now for
> her photo class.
>
> My point (if I have one) is that as nice as the old stuff is it will indeed
> become unrepairable (yes I know that is heresy to you M-3 users) as there
> will be no one who can make new gears etc, at some time in the not so
> distant future.  At that time it will become a nice paper weight or family
> room table conversation piece.  So lets get practical for change is normal
> and if we want Leica to survive then we must endorse their new products.
> those of you who cringe at modern electronics need to get over it as
> electronic circuitry has been around for decades and their reliability is
> well documented.  My R-4SP is over 15 years old and has not missed a beat
> yet, and I use it daily, I expect the M-6TTL to do even better as its
> electronics are even newer and more reliable.
>
> I have rattled on enough
>
> Gene

Welcome to the LUG! Loved your first Post! Especially the part about the
Nikon you've not used in 5 years! Although An F3 I see as a true classic
camera despite the battery having been in production i think longer than
the M6!
But why would mechanical cameras become UN reparable?
I think anythings repairable if your willing to shell out the cash to
have something machined for you.
But reach out to cyberspace to have someone conjure up a circuit board
for you and its only in your dreams.
All you'll get is a hologram.
Which better be saved at 300 dpi!

Mark Rabiner