Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital - Rumor Mongering apologies to Mark R.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:15:57 -0800

><Snip>
>
> On the high end, many studios are dropping medium format to use the Eos
> 1Ds or the Olympus E- whatever.  Even if you need some movements the EOS
> system offers a range of lenses to control perspective, admittedly
> limited in scope.
>
> So, I hope PMA is a blow out for NIkon.  It is my fondest wish that they
> have a wide range of new, fabulous products.
>
> Of course, I would love to see a prototype Leica digital.
>
> Don
><Snip>

I think it's a temporary time now with these new full frame chips
"replacing" medium format.
Do they replace 4x5 in either film or digital? Nope.

I think if we have a glut of 35mm shooting doing such commercial work in
the studio it's because they are havin more fun playing with their
monitors then they'd been having playing with their Polaroids.

So much medium format shooting is done because of the Polaroids. (In the past)

On the long run dig backs for medium format cameras will have their
prices come down and will find a definite market.
After all when a back is designed it fits a slew of medium format cameras.

In terms of 35mm adaptability when Fuji cameras out with a digital body
or Kodak either i expected different versions or adaptors for different
lens systems. But no. Nikon or Canon. As Nikon is the SLR lenes I happen
to have I'm not THAT set up about it.

What I've been thinking about all week is what Tina said about skipping
the SLR digital system and the advantages of just using a point and
shoot style digital camera in the field. The DIGILUX for instance.

Calumet just sends me this brochure comparing all the digital cameras in
a concise visual manner and the DIGILUX compares will to the rest of the
"consumer" digital cameras. Slightly smaller fileside. The window in the
back twice as large.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography