Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Comparison between Windows XP and 2000 for Scan and Print
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:00:20 -0500

Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have made some real progress in setting up a digital darkroom since
> getting so much helpful information regarding scanners last week.
>
> I ordered a new Canon FS4000US from Rich Pinto and am having it shipped from
> Canon's warehouse on the west coast. I felt that I needed to ensure getting
> new stock in order to get any improvements made since this scanner first
> came out. Especially since there were some early teething problems.
>
> I printed my first photo on an Epson 2200 and was simply blown away. I
> scanned an old 5x7 print on a Microtek E6 flatbed at 300dpi. I then blew it
> up to 8x10 and printed it on the Epson. I was amazed at the quality with
> such a low resolution scan. Simply amazing!
>
> I also ordered a new desktop pc to replace the Windows 2000 laptop that I am
> now using. I ordered a Dell 8250 with a 2.8ghz processor and 1GB of Rambus
> Rdram. This combination should prove to be a huge improvement in every way.
>
> I am running Photoshop Elements 2 right now, but may upgrade to a full
> version in the future.
>
> This leads to my question today which may be a little off thread. The new pc
> is coming with Windows XP pro installed. Having used this OS a little, I
> find it more consumer oriented and prefer Win. 2000. However, I have been
> told that the processor and memory combination will run better on XP.
>
> Do any of you that are using a digital darkroom setup with a pc have any
> comments or opinions regarding XP vs. 2000?

I believe that XP is the only Microsoft operating system that has color
management built-in. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure somebody will
correct me :-).

But if so, that should make your decision in favor of XP right then and
there. You won't get the full benefit though, unless you upgrade to the
full version of Photoshop.

Finally, plan on budgeting for a Colorvision Spyder or other
monitor-profiling device in the near future :-).

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014