Subject: [Leica] OT: Comparison between Windows XP and 2000 for Scan and Print
From: Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:37:35 -0600

Hello,

I have made some real progress in setting up a digital darkroom since
getting so much helpful information regarding scanners last week.

I ordered a new Canon FS4000US from Rich Pinto and am having it shipped from
Canon's warehouse on the west coast. I felt that I needed to ensure getting
new stock in order to get any improvements made since this scanner first
came out. Especially since there were some early teething problems.

I printed my first photo on an Epson 2200 and was simply blown away. I
scanned an old 5x7 print on a Microtek E6 flatbed at 300dpi. I then blew it
up to 8x10 and printed it on the Epson. I was amazed at the quality with
such a low resolution scan. Simply amazing!

I also ordered a new desktop pc to replace the Windows 2000 laptop that I am
now using. I ordered a Dell 8250 with a 2.8ghz processor and 1GB of Rambus
Rdram. This combination should prove to be a huge improvement in every way.

I am running Photoshop Elements 2 right now, but may upgrade to a full
version in the future.

This leads to my question today which may be a little off thread. The new pc
is coming with Windows XP pro installed. Having used this OS a little, I
find it more consumer oriented and prefer Win. 2000. However, I have been
told that the processor and memory combination will run better on XP.

Do any of you that are using a digital darkroom setup with a pc have any
comments or opinions regarding XP vs. 2000?

I am thinking seriously of just formatting the drive and doing a clean
install of win. 2000.

My next goal is to learn how to post pictures and possibly start a PAW.

Please email me off-list if your prefer.

Thanks.

Tom Henson
Tom.henson@bakerbotts.com

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] OT: Comparison between Windows XP and 2000 for Scan and Print)