Subject: Re: [Leica] How can a Leica not come from an "authorized Leica dealer"?
From: Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:24:08 -0500

While every Leica camera comes with a warranty, as I understand it, if a
camera is not sold through an official Leica distributor and dealer then the
official Leica Dealer network is not obligated to service the Leica camera
under warranty.  In this case, you'd have to ship the Leica back to Leica
Germany for warranty repair directly.  I believe the National distributors
(e.g., Leica USA- Northvale), for a fee, will agree to send the camera back
to Germany for repairs on your behalf..  the national Distributor and Dealer
networks are funded by their sales to provide the necessary warranty repair
infrastructure.  If the national distributor networks did not get funding
for the repair of a camera through the sale of that camera they're not
obligated to repair it.  Leica Germany is in that case.
AGS