Subject: Re: [Leica] Calibrating iMac monitor for Photoshop Elements
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:27:51 -0500

rclompus@cox.net wrote:
> I got my new Epson 2200 printer goinhg today.  Amazing how
> much better both color and B&W prints look on matt paper rather
> than glossy.  No metamerism at all.
>
> My prints are coming out consistently too dark.  Any suggestions
> how to calibrate the iMac LCD monitor so the prints look more like
> the monitor?  The help menus on Photoshop Elements spend
> more time discussing Microsoft than Apple.  I'm at a loss of how to
> adjust the image on the monitor so the prints aren't so dark.

Are you using OS X or some version of OS 9.x?

You need to calibrate the monitor and generate a profile which will be
used by the whole system via ColorSync (OS X) or at least by Photoshop
(OS 9). I'm not sure whether Elements offers the complete gamut of color
management that the full version of Photoshop does. The best solution is
to purchase a Colorvision Spyder with Optical software from one of the
usual online software suppliers and use that to generate an ICC profile.

If you don't have OS X I would recommend that you upgrade as this is all
much easier in OS X as the OS is designed with end-to-end color
management in mind.

Finally, if you haven't already done this, make sure that in the Epson
print driver that color management is turned OFF on the printer itself
(it is normally on by default).

Here is a link with some useful color management info:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com

Look particularly at the material on monitor profiling.

Have fun!

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014