Subject: Re: [Leica] Experience with using Nikon Coolscan 4000 with iMAC
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:38:45 -0800

On 2/14/03 Charles Hehl  wrote:

>I am thinking about switching my process to apple vice PC based and am
>wondering if anyone can tell me if the Apple firewire is compatable with the
>required IEEE 1394 interface for the Nikon Coolscan.

Apple is, essentially, the inventor of IEEE 1394 and is a leader in the
consortium that promotes and markets it. They probably do it better than anyone
else.

That said, especially for video cameras, and especially the early video cameras,
there were interpretations of the standards that presented quirks in camera
control and handling. Those are pretty much history now from what I hear.

Certainly I have used an LS4000 with four different Macs running OS X and it
just works. I note that there appears to be a firmware upgrade from Nikon that
improves some feature or other with OS X but I have not installed it because
mine seems to be working so well that I don't want to mess with it.

I use both the Nikon software which is bad-mouthed but which seems to work ok,
and VueScan which works very well although the documentation isn't as
transparent as it might be.

Have fun!

Adam